When organizing for families, I often come across parents who have clothing the children have outgrown that they would like to keep for sentimental reasons. They may have wedding dresses, graduation gowns or other clothing mementos they want to save for prosperity. Here are some tips on how to store keepsake clothing.
- Keep only those clothes that are in good condition and have a strong sentimental value.
- Limit the clothing you keep to your favorites, and those that will not quickly go out of style.
- Limit the number of items you keep, based on the size of the boxes and storage space available in your home.
- Wash and thoroughly dry, or dry clean clothing before storing it.
- Wrap clothing in acid-free archival tissue paper.
- Avoid storing in plastic bags because these can trap moisture and cause mildew.
- Store clothing in acid-free storage boxes or in plastic lidded bins made of polypropylene. These bins will have a #5 or a PP to indicate the polypropylene.
- Clearly label each box.
- Store in a climate controlled area such as an interior closet or under a bed.
- Do not store in a basement, attic or garage, unless it is climate controlled.
On Task Organizing, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com