When working with my clients on time management, they often want to make more time for exercise. Starting and sticking with an exercise habit is difficult, but there are ways to organize your home and schedule to make exercise a higher priority.
1. Put it on your Schedule. If you attend classes at a gym, or just plan to exercise a certain number of times each day, record the workout time onto your calendar. This is an appointment that cannot be missed!
2. Prepare clothing and workout gear the night before. Pack your gym bag and place it in your car, or lay out all of your workout clothing the night before, so you can quickly get dressed and go for a morning jog. Once you’re wearing the clothes, it is much harder to make an excuse and avoid the exercise.
3. Charge your devices the night before. Charge your smartphone, MP3 player, watch, or tablet; whatever you use to help your workouts.
4. Organize a home fitness area. Remember, treadmills are not clothes horses! Make a space for your workouts, and keep it clutter free. If you watch DVDs or online videos, set up a space where you can get fit while watching the screen. Keep it organized and reserve the space for that purpose only.
5. Use an app to help you keep track of your exercise time. There are many options out there, I personally prefer MyFitnessPal.
6. Make yourself accountable. Register for that class, find a workout buddy, or tell someone you will be there.
7. Choose an exercise you find fun! You may need to try several different types of exercises until you find the one that is fun for you, most places offer trial classes. Take a chance, try something out and stick with the one you enjoy the most.