Hectic morning routines are very common. Many of my organizing clients ask me for time saving tips to help them get out the door easier in the morning. Here are 8 ways to save time each morning.
- Have two alarms, one close to the bed, and the other across the room, so you have to stand up to turn it off.
- Spend a few mornings using a timer to time how long each activity usually takes to complete, such as brushing your teeth or eating breakfast. Once you have an idea of how long it takes to complete everything, you can better chose your wake-up time, and schedule your mornings accordingly.
- Use a waterproof timer in the shower to keep track of time.
- Prepare as much as possible the night before. After checking the weather forecast, lay out clothing before going to bed. Set out breakfast dishes and make lunches the night before. If possible, place some items inside your car the night before to reduce the amount of work to be done in the morning. Place all purses, brief cases, backpacks, shoes and jackets by the door.
- Create a home drop zone by your main entry and exit door. This area should include a place to hold phones, chargers, keys & wallets. The drop zone can include a calendar, a dry erase board for any last minute notes and reminders, and a weekly menu board to keep track of meals. Having all items in one place will save you time searching for misplaced things in the mornings.
- Place a Post-it note on your door with any last minute reminders.
- Account for traffic each morning by checking road conditions before leaving and leave early enough so that there is a buffer if there’s traffic along the way. I suggest adding at least 5 minutes to the estimated travel time of online mapping applications.
- Skip checking social media and e-mail until you have everything else ready in the morning.