I recently earned a Specialist Certificate in Household Management through the National Association of Productivity and Organizing Professionals. Many people ask, “What is household management?” Household management refers to the various tasks and chores associated with the organization, financial management, and day-to-day operations of a home.
Effective home management is the process of properly maintaining a home and overseeing household activities. Similar to operating a business, managing a home requires skills such as planning, organizing and budgeting.
As a professional home organizer, I help homeowners to declutter and organize their home. To maintain that organization, I set up systems to keep the home running smoothly. The coursework I completed to earn my specialist certificate covered many topics. By transferring these skills to my clients, they can more easily handle the everyday and emergency situations that come their way.
Here are some of the household management topics I’m educated in and able to assist my clients with implementing:
- Systems for chores
- Time management methods
- Creating new habits and routines
- Meal preparation
- Laundry workflow
- Cleaning schedules
- Financial organizing
- Family communication strategies and systems
- Setting up a household command center
- Disaster and emergency preparedness
- Keeping a home inventory
- Creating shopping lists and plans
- Scheduling home repairs and maintenance
- Systems for running errands
- Plans for caring for pets
- Managing children’s childcare, school and extracurricular schedules
- Technology strategies to better manage email and digital calendars
- Implementing productivity and time management apps
- Home management techniques and schedules for managing everything including changing HVAC filters, testing smoke detectors, pest control, yard work and other home maintenance tasks
- Transferring organizing and household management skills to my clients
- Coaching and motivating my clients to reach their household management goals
Please contact me if you’d like a professional organizer’s guidance in household management. I am available in-person in the Raleigh, North Carolina area, and elsewhere through virtual sessions via video chat.